Fall Cleaning: A mundane and magickal approach to get ready for a tough winter
Updated: Sep 29
It's finally that time of year! According to the Celtic Calendar, the months of August, September, and October are the Fall Months. It is a time to harvest and prepare both on the magickal level and the mundane level for the winter months ahead. This winter has the potential to be especially tough, so our preparations for it must be especially thorough.
Fall cleaning helps us to take stock, clean out things that no longer serve us, and make our home the welcoming sanctuary that it needs to be. Below is a To-Do List that will help with the process. All of the tools you need are listed on the Resource Page.
1) Go through your house, room by room, and get everything organized. Create three piles: Donate, throw out, keep. If you haven't used it in a year, you won't use it next year, and it has no sentimental value, donate the item or discard if it is beyond repair. This step alone is one of the best things you can do for your mental health during this time. It will allow you to regain control over your environment, and that will help you regain a greater sense of control over your life.
2) Wash all the bedding, including pillows, comforters, and mattress pads.
3) Throw the shower curtains and mats in the wash and hang to dry.
4) If you have carpet runners or bigger mats on the hardwood floor, vacuum these thoroughly. Take them outside to hose off and line dry, or steam vac, whichever the manufacturer recommends.
5) Clean the oven, microwave, coffee maker, and other kitchen appliances with Thieves Cleaner, or on the appliance's "Clean" setting.
6) Wipe down all the door handles, walls, outlets, and other highly touched places with Thieves and a microfiber cloth.
7) Wipe down the window blinds with a dryer sheet, or launder fabric ones.
8) Clean all the wood in the house with a plant-based wood cleaner and conditioner to help protect and restore the wood.
9) Steam vac the carpets and upholstery. Right now, I would not recommend renting a machine, you don't want anyone else's dirt in your house! Make the small investment, and purchase your own. You can get a Bissel TurboClean for $99!
10) Wash the windows with warm soapy water and a microfiber cloth. Then go through and dry with a dry microfiber cloth.
Now that you have the place organized and cleaned, it's time to get it up to speed magickally. Diffuse Palo Santo essential oil, or you can burn a stick of it, whichever works best for you. I would also recommend diffusing Fiery Wall of Protection at this time as well. Visualize your home surrounded by a golden light that both heals and protects all your loved ones inside your home. Now visualize that same golden light surrounding your loved ones so they carry protection and healing with them always.
In our next blog post, we'll look at what items to purchase to make sure that you are prepared for the winter.